GHYC offer 3 courses this summer:
- National Powerboat Certificate
- Beginners Supported Sailing 5 half days
- Supported Sailing 5 half days
The National Powerboat Certificate is the course to do if you want to drive a powerboat. Start here by filling out the this form.
You can purchase membership and courses at the following address https://pay.easypaymentsplus.com/loginv2.aspx?id=888
The goals of these session are:
- skill attainment
In that order.
Participants will be signed off in Checklick on skills as they acquire them.
All courses will be operated within the COVID guidelines in operation at the time of delivery.
Parents are asked to book by the week. Time allocations(morning or afternoon) will be made nearer to date. Multiple weeks can be booked for attendees to improve their skills.
Parents should also note that if they buy Junior Membership in EPP some manual intervention may be necessary for them to be able to purchase courses. So email training at glandoreyc dot com with questions.
Beginners supported Sailing
Aimed at beginners(not yet achieved level 2 (basic skills)). Participants will receive tuition specifically tailored to raise their current skill level. Skills may include
- Knot work
- Describe points of sail
- Launching and recovering a boat effectively in all wind directions
- Get out of irons
- Capsize recovery
- Reach across the wind effectively
- Sail downwind & upwind
- Tack & gybe
- Applying 5 essentials
- Paddle in a straight line
- Sail around a basic course as laid by instructors
Aimed at sailors who have achieved level 2(basic skills) and/or can consistently and efficiently sail around a triangular course demonstrating the 5 essentials. Again the tuition will be specifically tailored to raise their current skill level.
- Attendees are encouraged to keep a log of their progress using the logging facility in the Checklick System, this is an athlete development system that the ISA, and GHYC, use for tracking progress and certification.
- The ratios in the supported sailing are favourable (5 students to 1 instructor)
- Our instructors will sign off on skills gained in Checklick.
- The Supported Sailing program offers attendees the opportunity to attend multiple weeks and continue to build their skill set
- Small group numbers will allow instructors to tailor sessions to the individual needs of trainees.